Monday, August 30, 2010

Jane Eyre

I must say that I adore reading, and one of my hopes for Zachary is that he grows up to be an avid reader.

About a year and a half ago, a friend and I started a book club. I'm really proud of the group and what it has become. We read biographies, fiction, non-fiction, you name it...and I'm glad that we're not afraid of books that we don't necessarily agree with. It's a way to learn about other places and times. Get inside someone else's head. Wrestle with moral questions. Decide what I would have done in a particular situation.

This month, our book club is reading Jane Eyre (and surprisingly enough, I've never read it before). One of the benefits of nursing is that I have 3-4 hours a day to multitask - feed my baby AND do some reading. So, Zachary and I read Jane Eyre - his first piece of literature! And we (I) LOVED it. I didn't read him the entire thing, but little portions here and there to "enrich his learning experience" (aka hear the inflection of my voice).

1 comment:

Katers said...

somehow i missed this! i remember reading this one junior year in college. it was my first novel in that "era" of reading & it hooked me in. i'd love to hear what you thought... talk to you soon!